This week's Random Recipe was a request from Mark :)
I made this a couple of Christmases ago, as presents for people, and we of course tested some- just to make sure it was ok ;-) He loved it, and has been asking me to make it again since then!
However, it's not the healthiest of snacks so I've managed to resist until now. Since he was going away with work I decided to make some as a present to take with him- let's just hope it doesn't all melt when he reaches the 39 degree temperatures of Australia! Eek!
You will need:
200g dark chocolate - higher % cocoa solids is better, milk chocolate would work but it doesn't melt as well. I chose a bar with hazelnuts in for some extra textures. You could use fruit and nut, or any other flavour!
2-3tbsp golden syrup
100g marshmallows- mini marshmallows, or large ones cut up into pieces
200g biscuits- I used digestives, but you could use chocolate digestives, hobnobs, oreos, whatever you fancy!
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces, and put into a pan with your butter and golden syrup.
Melt over a low heat, stirring slowly until everything is melted.
2. Meanwhile measure out your marshmallows- cut up if needed- and biscuits.
3. Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and smash with a rolling pin to break up into chunks- leave some larger pieces for crunch!
4. Then add the marshmallows and biscuits to the melted chocolate mixture, and combine everything together until it's all coated in chocolate.
5. Spoon the mixture into a tray (lined with greaseproof paper) and smooth down into the corners.
6. Then leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours- I left mine overnight- or pop in the freezer if you want it to chill quicker.
7. Finally, turn out the Rocky Road from the tray, peel off the paper and cut into chunks.
I managed to pack it all up to send off with Mark without eating any which is quite a miracle, although I was cutting it and taking photos at 7am which is perhaps a little early for chocolate- Rocky Road for breakfast anyone?